Make a Gift
You Make Us Great
Studying philosophy gives us the ability to think critically and consistently, to understand varying points of view, to lead.
The Department of Philosophy at the University of Minnesota engages in interdisciplinary research and teaching to advance the critical study of philosophy. The department has unique strengths in the areas of the philosophy of science; philosophies of mathematics, logic, and language; and moral and political philosophy.
Your tax-deductible contribution provides our students with encouragement and vital financial support. It gives our faculty resources for enlarging knowledge and understanding. It helps to maintain a distinguished reputation for the department.
What Your Gift Can Do
Your generous support for the Department of Philosophy is more critical than ever. It helps us attract and retain the very best scholars and students despite decreasing funding from the state.
Your contribution allows us to ensure:
- A distinguished faculty
Creating endowed chairs and professorships and supporting interdisciplinary centers and programs of research will help us recruit and retain outstanding faculty.
- Excellence and competitiveness of our graduate program
Faculty choose institutions that attract the best graduate students. We need to ensure the excellence and competitiveness of our graduate programs so that we may compete for the best faculty and brightest students.
- A diverse and engaged undergraduate student body
Although we are attracting better students than even before, too many outstanding students choose other institutions. The deciding factor is often finances. Merit and need-based scholarships are absolutely essential.
Choose a Fund
To remain competitive, we need your support for graduate student fellowships and undergraduate scholarships. We have several endowed funds that may interest you.
- Unrestricted gifts to the Philosophy Department Annual Fund support the most critical needs of the department.
- The Lawrence Cattron/Frederick Woodbridge Scholarship Fund provides merit scholarships to some of our most promising undergraduate students.
- The Norman Dahl Graduate Fellowship was created to honor Professor Dahl’s dedication to the department. As director of graduate studies for two decades, Professor Dahl has had a defining impact on the department and its graduates. This fund will recruit and support our most talented graduate students.
- The Tom Lapic Graduate Student Fellowship in Philosophy and Social Justice provides summer fellowship funds for students studying ethics and its relevance to public practice.
- Philosophy Camp is the affectionate nickname given by students to the philosophy courses Phil 4326—Lives Worth Living: Questions of Self, Vocation, and Community, and Phil 4350—Catching Lives Worth Living: Participation in the Growth of a Living-Learning Community. Students and instructors meet daily and create a residential living-learning community experience. Read more...
Your gift can help create the next generation of leaders and thinkers.
Make a gift to the Department of Philosophy online through the University of Minnesota Foundation.
For more information on ways to give, contact:
CLA External Relations
220 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
For other giving options, visit the U of M Foundation.